Microtransactions are the purchase of in-game content or premium account features in exchange for real money.
Path of Exile is a free-to-play game that is supported monetarily through its microtransaction features. The policy of Grinding Gear Games regarding microtransactions is that they should not confer any significant advantage to the player. Microtransaction features are primarily cosmetic in nature or provide peripheral utility in the case of additional stash tabs and character slots.
How to purchase
The features available through microtransaction purchases are not otherwise available through playing the game. They are also not necessary for completing any of the game content.
Navigate to pathofexile.com and activate the Shop link in the main menu. On the Purchase page, a player can purchase Points for real money. A player can then browse the Shop and buy microtransaction features with Points.
- Account Features
- Extra stash tabs, the ability to customise them, and extra character-slots for collectors.
- Non-combat critters to follow you around.
- Item Effects
- Extra-glow on your weapons and head gear.
- Alternate Skill Effects
- Re-skins to various skills, such as replacing Skeletons with Statues.
- Currently contain the /dance animations for each character.
- Custom Content
- At the moment, just one option: for $1000, get your chance to pitch an idea for a unique to the devs and collaborate with them so that (A) it's made to your liking, and (B) won't destroy game-balance.