Resistances reduce the damage you take from their associated damage type. Enemies can also have resistances, which are indicated beneath their life bar.
Each elemental damage type and chaos have their own resistance value (e.g. "Fire resistance") which is viewable in the character sheet.
There are various ways your resistances can be increased or decreased, these include:
- Some curses can lower your resistance
- Some Unique items can lower or increase your resistance
- Equipment stats
- passive skills
- Elemetal Resistance Flasks
- Endurance Charges (5% per charge)
The "+% to All Resistances" stat grants resistance to the three elemental resistances and excludes Chaos. Chaos resistance is a separate stat, found on items and the passive skill tree. Complete chaos immunity is granted by the Chaos Inoculation keystone passive skill.
Resistances are initially capped at a maximum of 75%, however there are various ways to change this:
- Some Unique items
- The aura
- The Elemental Adaptation passive skill located near the Marauder start point
- The of Exposure affix on maps
- Elemental Resistance Flasks
Resistances can be increased above 100%, however this provides no direct benefit. Resistance at 100% negates all damage from that damage type.
There is a penalty to All Resistances (Chaos included) applied to your character in each successive difficulty you reach.
- Normal: No penalty
- Cruel: -20% to All Resistances
- Merciless: -60% to All Resistances
Note that "all Elemental Resistances" means Fire, Cold, and Lightning Resistance--it does not include Chaos Resistance.
- 6x Elemental Resistance: +6% to all Elemental Resistances
- 2x Diamond Skin: +15% to all Elemental Resistances
- 2x Body and Soul: +20% to Armour, maximum Energy Shield; +10% to all Elemental Resistances
- 1x Celestial Walker: +10% to all Elemental Resistances, +10% increased Elemental Damage
- 2x Nullification: +10% to Evasion, maximum Energy Shield, Energy Shield Cooldown Recovery, all Elemental Resistances
- 2x Elemental Resistance with Shields: +15% Elemental Resistances when holding a shield
Additionally, choosing to help Kraityn during the quest Deal with the Bandits in Normal mode grants a permanent +8% to all Elemental Resistances.
The maximum total "all Elemental Resistances" from passives is +116% unconditional (not including the above quest reward), and +30% from shields.
Fire, Cold, Lightning
Each of the three elements (Fire, Cold, Lightning) has the following:
- 6x [Element] Resistance: +15% to [Element] Resistance
- 1x [Element] Resistance: +18% to [Element] Resistance
- 1x [Element] Walker: +12% increased [Element] Damage, +15% to [Element] Resistance
The maximum total single-element-only resistance from passives is +123% unconditional (for each element).
- 3x Chaos Resistance: +8% to Chaos Resistance
- 1x Chaos Resistance: +16% to Chaos Resistance
The maximum total Chaos Resistance from passives is +40% unconditional.
One passive skill increases the Fire, Cold, and Lightning Resistance cap by 5%, to 80%.
- 1x Elemental Adaptation: +5% to maximum Fire, Cold, Lightning Resistance
Resistance Penetration Mechanics
Some curses lower the resistances of their target. These curses are:
- Elemental Weakness: -% to All Resistances
- Conductivity: -% to Lightning Resistance
- Flammability: -% to Fire Resistance
- Frostbite: -% to Cold Resistance
These curses will reduce the target's resistance. If a monster has 75% resistance and is affected by a -40% resistance curse it will have 35% resistance. If a monster has 120% resistance (by way of auras or rare monster affixes), it will be capped at 75%, and upon being hit with a -40% curse, it will be reduced to 80% resistance and still be at the 75% cap.
Some support gems will cause supported skills to ignore a portion of target resistance. These are:
- Lightning Penetration: Ignores % of Lightning Resistance
- Fire Penetration: Ignores % of Fire Resistance
- Cold Penetration: Ignores % of Cold Resistance
These support gems reduced the actual resistance of a monster, or the resistance that a monster has at the point of damage. If a monster has 75% resistance and is affected by a 40% penetration support gem it will have 35% resistance, as with a curse. If a monster has 120% resistance, it will be capped at 75%, and for the purpose of the penetration support gems, its resistance will be 75%, not 120%. So a 40% penetration gem will reduce the resistance to 35% (which differs from the effect of curses). 
Both curses and penetration gems can reduce the resistance of a target below 0%.
|Purity (lvl 20)||+4%|
|Inner Force applied to Purity||+1.2%|
|Inner Force applied to Flask*||+3%|
*3.5-4.2 seconds for a specific element.